Thursday, February 05, 2009

Two Months Old

Isabella had her 2 month appointment yesterday. The doctor we saw was awesome, I liked him even better than the first one we saw. If its at all possible I'm going to request him for her 4 month appointment.

The only real concerns we had was her eating what seems like so little and the red spot on her head. He said that some babies do what they call "newborn eating", eating small amounts often, for longer than others, it just takes them a little longer to move on to bigger amounts over longer periods of time. Apparently this is especially common in babies born on the smaller side. As long as she is getting 24 - 32 ounces a day its not an issue since she is growing and developing nicely. He said the red spot on her head is a common hemangioma and that its nothing to worry about. Her's is so tiny and its not raised so he said it will just be hidden by her hair. They usually go away by age two anyway.

He did a very thorough examination of her and she passed everything with flying colors. He said that she was one of the most laid back babies he had ever seen, and that we very lucky. I agree! Her skin looked great not a rash in sight, her head control is exceptional, all of her social interactions were right on track, she is just all around perfect! I know he probably says it to everyone, but he said that she is really smart and that he was impressed with her.

The only thing we got "in trouble" for is not making her do more tummy time. I said that she wouldn't tolerate being on her stomach and he said that she would, I just had to be tough. He rolled her over and wouldn't ya know she laid there and cooed and smiled at him. He explained to us how important it is and why, so that's our new goal, more tummy time. He said that he was impressed she didn't a have a bald spot since she didn't to tummy time. She does have tummy time on my chest though! He said that was fine so far, but now I need to let her be flat so she can develop her muscles.

I wasn't thrilled to hear some of the thing he had to say, but he is right, she is growing up and needs me less than she did last month. He said that the first two months are about building trust and making them secure, after that its time to be a parent. This means loosening my grip and letting her be more independent. (ie. letting her have tummy time on her tummy, letting her cry just a little, not holding her while she is sleeping at night.)

So, on to the stats. She is 9 lbs 15 oz, 21.4" long, and her head is 15". Apparently she hasn't grown as much as we had thought. She is only in the 10th percentile for her height, but she looks SO long now. I think its because she is thing and her arms and legs are so long. It elongates her whole body. He said that length is genetic and there is nothing we can do about that, but that she is gaining and growing nicely. She might just be "petite" like Mom, but with legs like a supermodel. I added that last part!

She got three shots and the liquid vaccination. It was like she knew something was going to happen when we got into the room. She got all bug eyed and was swinging her head all around looking at everything. When the nurse was loading the syringes Isa wouldn't take her eyes off of them. I kept telling Jonathan to cover here eyes. She did great with the liquid, I wonder what the taste like? She made the silliest face. The first shot she looked like "What the heck?" and she looked right at Jonathan. (He was holding her on the table.) The second shot she started to cry a little. When she got the third shot blood started running out of her leg, I thought I was going to faint! I'm not afraid of needles or blood, it was just the look on her face and the blood was so unexpected. I almost knocked the nurse over trying to pick Isa up. As soon as she was upright she had stopped crying. That made Mommy feel so much better! She got a fever yesterday but I managed not to panic since I know its common. I gave her some tylenol and it went right now. She slept most of the day yesterday and really well last night. I'm glad she is protected now!

1 comment: